Site Upgrade

@goldblum of course. anyone that doesn't wish to have their files redistributed via solidice only has to say so. our goal is to expand the site as to allow an alternative, not to piss anyone off.

You can't legally rehost the addons, it's a copyright violation and there are legal consequences for not getting permission prior to copying them.

You seem to be under the impression that because they are free to download that you can redistribute them however you want. Addons are not owned by blizzard, they are the intellectual property of the programmer, and you are in for a shitstorm of DMCA notices if you do not take them down.

@torhol

why wouldn't you want your addon freely available via more sites? why do those sites inparticular matter to you?

@rmcinnis

if anyone does not want them to be freely available to the users, they only have to ask. but i'm interested why both you and torhol want to restrict user access

I work with people I like, and trust. The fact that you're willing to ignore Copyright, ignore the will of the authors, and treat a request that should never have to be made in the first place as though you're a customer service agent at Comcast when someone just wants their cable disconnected doesn't make me feel any of the latter.

i'm not ignoring copyright. the works are intact and passed along as intended. restricting redistribution would be the issue here.

also, you realize you haven't mentioned any addon you've authored that you would like restricted.

All Rights Reserved: It indicates that the copyright holder reserves, or holds for their own use, all the rights provided by copyright law, such as distribution, performance, and creation of derivative works; that is, they have not waived any such right.

If you take notice, any addons indicating "All Rights Reserved", are not listed. We apologize for any inconvenience and mis understandings, our intentions were not meant to be malicious, or to insult the desires or rights of the authors.

We hope that we as a community, including Authors and Solidice, can move forward in a positive direction.

Torhal, out of curiosity.

Does your status as a Curse employee influence your desire / intentions to bring notice to this subject, list your addons as all rights reserved, bar their distribution from distribution services and networks other than Curse, and encourage others to do the same?

http://www.curse.com/users/Torhal/projects

Nope. As I said, I also host on WoWInterface, which is owned by ZAM - a Curse competitor.